Moving countries is an exciting and big step to help you on your educational journey. Studying with us at Northumbria University is a great foundation on which to build your academic future. But before you get on that plane, you may be wondering what you should bring with you to make your new place truly feel like home.

It’s worth remembering that you can buy pretty much anything you need here once you arrive in the UK, so don’t feel you need to fill your suitcase right up. This will leave you with space for those things you can’t get over here, such as photos of your family and friends and your good luck childhood teddy bear (which you might feel is essential for exam time).

We take a look at the essentials things you’ll need to study and live here at the London Campus.

Essentials for your study life

Documentation – It’s important to have all your university documents. These include:

  • letter of acceptance or offer letter from the university
  • proof of medical screenings (if requested),
  • academic documents and certifications that support evidence of previous education
  • Financial documents that show you’re able to cover the course fees, accommodation etc.

Passport – You’ll need an in date and valid passport for many things, and not just for your journey over. You’ll also need to have your passport for when you enrol and for opening a UK bank account.

Laptop – As a student you’re likely to be writing essays, doing research and emailing your peers when working on group projects. Like most of us, you probably use your laptop for entertainment like watching films, TV shows and listening to music, so having this with you in your new home will be an easy way to keep entertained during your down time, as well as supporting your studies.

Plug adapter – Plugs on your electricals at home will most likely be different to the UK (three pins), so be sure to take an adapter that you can plug your personal electricals into.

Stationary – It might be obvious, but you’ll need a good array of pens, pencils, an eraser, pencil sharpener, notebook and a pad of paper.

Essentials for your personal life

Clothes – You’ll want to bring clothes for all types of weather. You have probably already heard about the cold and wet of Britain, but it is also famously changeable, going from chilly and damp to warm and sunny in just one day. An umbrella and a pair of sunglasses are some key items you’ll need in the UK.

Don’t take every item of clothing you have with you, as you can always buy a reasonably priced coat, summer dress or shorts once you’re already living here. A few pairs of jeans, comfortable shoes and trainers, underwear, socks, shirts, a jumper or two and a couple of T-shirts should be enough to see you through the first month or so of your time here.

Toiletries – Keeping clean and fresh daily is essential. But until you find local shops near your campus or place of accommodation, take a small toiletries bag to get you through the initial week. Shampoo, soap or shower gel, toothpaste and toothbrush, razors, face cloth, aftershave/perfume, a towel and some deodorant will keep you looking and feeling your best. And don’t forget your comb and/or brush!

Grooming electricals – If you’ve got long hair, you might want to take a hairdryer with you. If you shave and prefer an electric shaver bring this along to save time on busy mornings.

Medicines – If you have any condition that requires you to take medicines then be sure to take these with you. Perhaps ask your doctor for an extra supply to see you through until you’re registered with a doctor in the UK.

Reminders of home – You’ll be away from your friends and family, so keep them feeling closer to you by having photos of them around your new bedroom.  You might have a favourite childhood teddy bear you want to take with you too. If so, go ahead. It’s the little things that can make all the difference.

To find out more information on travelling to the UK and what you’re allowed to bring, please check the official UK Border Force document. Another helpful place to visit for international students is UKCISA, the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

If you have any questions about coming to the UK, the university or anything else, then please do get in touch.

We look forward to welcoming you to your new home!

Quick contact

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Full Name:

In future QA Higher Education would like to contact you with relevant information on our courses, facilities and events and those of our University Partners. Please confirm you are happy to receive this information by indicating how you would like us to communicate with you below:


Please note, this will overwrite any previous communication preferences you may have already specified to us on our website or websites relating to our University Partners. You can change your communication preferences at any time. QA Higher Education will process your personal data as set out in our privacy notice

Hidden Fields