What is a Pre-Masters?
A Pre-Masters programme is the ideal preparation programme for studying one of our Masters programmes.
If you are looking to study a postgraduate degree, but require additional support to meet the entry requirements or have not studied for a while, our Pre-Masters programmes are designed to give you extra preparation.
Why Study the Pre-Masters?
- Bridge the skills gap: the programme has been designed for students who require additional support to meet entry requirements of their chosen Masters degree
- Prepare for postgraduate study: boost your confidence and build academic skills, such as writing, critical thinking or effective communication
- Access to student support: during your programme, you will have full access to all student facilities and support, including the ACE (Academic Community of Excellence) Team or Digital Library.
- Develop your English language skills: master your written and spoken English language skills, while building your subject-specific knowledge
- Guaranteed progression: upon successful completion, you will be guaranteed to join one of our Masters programmes (subject to a 50% pass rate)
Typically, applicants should hold a pass or third-class honours degree and IELTS 6.5 with no single element below 5.5 or equivalent.
However, if you have IELTS 5.5-6.0, you may be eligible to join our Pre-Sessional English before starting this programme. For more detailed information on entry requirements, please refer to the course pages.
Depending on your career aspirations, you can choose between two pathways: Business or Computing and Technology.
- Meet the subject content entry requirement of Northumbria London Campus Computing programmes (MSc Cyber Security programme or specialist MSc provision dependent upon their entry requirements) or progress onto one of our Business Masters at either London or Newcastle campus.
- Available throughout the year with start dates in September, January and May
- Progression options also include Masters with Advanced Practice