Usman Butt is a Cyber Security practitioner and an academic with over 19 years of experience. He is currently Associate Dean and Head of Department Computing at Northumbria University London. Over the years he has gain experience in strategic leadership, cyber security training and have delivered international talks on contemporary cyber security challenges. He is also External Examiner to various UK Universities for their Cyber Security and Artificial Intelligence programmes and is an active researcher and cyber security consultant.
He is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA), holds BSc (Hons) in Computer Science, Master’s in Computer Networks and Systems Security and near to completion PhD in Cyber Security threat Ransomware. He is a Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Certified ISO 27001 Practitioner, Certified Information Security Management, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP – Trained) and CompTIA Security+ (Trained). He is also a lead trainer on NCSC CyberFirst initiative and have delivered Cyber Security training and education at national level in UK.
Usman has extensive experience of working with industry partners to design new computing programmes. He successfully led the project to achieve full certification of MSc Cyber Security programme with National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), UK and accreditation of computing programmes with British Computer Society (BCS). He is a lead liaison and have successfully established EC-Council academic Partnership with Northumbria University London to explore new contemporary opportunities for our students in Ethical Hacking and Digital Forensics.
He is research focused and have published number of journal articles in peer reviewed journals, authored book chapters and published conference papers in the field of cyber security and Artificial Intelligence challenges to smart cities. He has been a research coordinator and mentor to early supervisors/researchers. Usman has also vast experience of supervising full-time and part-time students at BSc/MSc levels and have been involved in various professional activities such as penetration tester and End Point Assessor for degree apprenticeship programmes.
- Cyber Physical Systems
- Cyber Warfare
- Ransomware analysis
- Machine Learning & Internet of Things
- Cyber Threat Intelligence
- Blockchain applications
- Authentication Methods
- Cyber-security and Privacy
- Digital Forensics for IoT and Cloud Computing
- Online-harassment and Cyberstalking
- Butt, U.J., Davelis, A., Abbod, M., Eghan, C. and Agbo, H.M., 2022. Improving Learning Experience and Privacy in Education Using the Power of Big Data and Artificial Intelligence. In Integrated Business Models in the Digital Age(pp. 371-424). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Davelis, A., Butt, U.J., Pendlebury, G. and Hussein, K.E., 2022. Emerging Technologies: Blockchain and Smart Contracts. Blockchain and Other Emerging Technologies for Digital Business Strategies, pp.143-169.
- Butt, U.J., Davelis, A., Abbod, M. and El-Hussein, K., 2022. Setting the World in Motion: Blockchain Redefining Transport and Logistics. In Integrated Business Models in the Digital Age(pp. 87-147). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Butt, U.J., Richardson, W., Abbod, M., Agbo, H.M. and Eghan, C., 2021. The deployment of autonomous drones during the COVID-19 pandemic. In Cybersecurity, Privacy and Freedom Protection in the Connected World(pp. 183-220). Springer, Cham.
- Butt, U.J., Richardson, W., Nouman, A., Agbo, H.M., Eghan, C. and Hashmi, F., 2021. Cloud and Its Security Impacts on Managing a Workforce Remotely: A Reflection to Cover Remote Working Challenges. In Cybersecurity, Privacy and Freedom Protection in the Connected World(pp. 285-311). Springer, Cham.
- Richardson, W., Butt, U.J. and Abbod, M., 2021. Critical Review of Cyber Warfare Against Industrial Control Systems. Information Security Technologies for Controlling Pandemics, pp.415-434.
- Ibarra J., Butt U., Bouridance A., Eliot N., Jahankhani H., 2021. “Enhancing Smart Home Threat Detection with Artificial Intelligence”, in Cybersecurity, Privacy and freedom protection in the connected world, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Global Security, Safety and Sustainability, ICGS3-20, London, UK, Jan 2021, Springer, Advanced Science and Technology for Security Applications series, ISBN 978-3-030-68533-1
- Butt, U.J., Abbod, M.F. and Kumar, A., 2020. Cyber threat ransomware and marketing to networked consumers. In Handbook of research on innovations in technology and marketing for the connected consumer(pp. 155-185). IGI Global.
- Butt, M.W. and Butt, U.J., 2021. Digitalization of the global FinTech industry. In Research Anthology on Concepts, Applications, and Challenges of FinTech(pp. 167-185). IGI Global.
- Usman Butt, A. K., 2019. Ransomware. London: Cyber Security Practitioner Guide, World Scientific. ISBN 978-981-120-445-6
Conferences & Journals
- U. Javed Butt, M. Abbod, A. Lors, H. Jahankhani, A. Jamal and A. Kumar, “Ransomware Threat and its Impact on SCADA,” 2019 IEEE 12th International Conference on Global Security, Safety and Sustainability (ICGS3), 2019, pp. 205-212, doi: 10.1109/ICGS3.2019.8688327.
- Ibarra J, Butt U, Do A, Jahankhani H, Jamal A., 2019. Ransomware Impact to SCADA Systems and its Scope to critical infrastructure. IEEE Xplore, Issue Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Global Security, Safety and Sustainability – ICGS3-19.
- ul Haq, A., Jamal, A., Butt, U., Majeed, A. and Ozkaya, A., 2015. Understanding Privacy Concerns in Online Courses: A Case Study of Proctortrack. In Global Security, Safety and Sustainability: Tomorrow’s Challenges of Cyber Security (pp. 137-150). Springer International Publishing.
- Majeed, A. ; Haq, A. ; Asim, A. ; Lloyd-Williams, M. ; Jamal, A. ; Butt, U. (2015), ‘The Study of Implications on Modern Businesses Performances by Digital Communities: Case of Data Leak’, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index, Economics and Management Engineering, 2(2), 2091.